Monday, December 30, 2013

Well, since I last posted, I had my surgery.  It went better than anticipated.  In about two weeks I'll get the cast off and probably get a walking cast.  After that, I have another ankle and knee to repair.  Then, maybe the Bionic Woman will walk again.

I've been thinking a lot about the career I've had to leave behind.  Reading posts on another site from nurses who are still working reminds me how dysfunctional the nursing profession can be.  We've given up so much of our control to satisfy the increasingly inappropriate "customer service" demands.  Back when I was a younger nurse, you would never have a family demanding to keep a patient on life support after brain death has occurred.  You certainly wouldn't have them demanding that their brain dead child have multiple surgeries.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the family of this young girl who died after a seemingly simple surgery.  Somehow, they need to come to terms with the fact that she is dead, not try to raise tens of thousands of dollars for surgeries and transport to another facility.

My thoughts are with the poor nurses who are caught up in this fray.

No comments:

Post a Comment